Saturday, July 7, 2012

EXTRA: Up to 10, but not so bad

It seems that we’re up to 10 deceased people whom the Cook County medical examiner’s office is willing to say were caused due to the excessive heat.
FELDON: Could lovely Agent 99 get us all heated?

That may sound like quite a bit. And I’m not going to downplay the significance of a lost life. On the other hand, I don’t want to overplay it either.

I STILL SAY that things could have been a lot worse for us during the past few days. And it seems like the worst has passed. We didn’t hit 100 (as in degrees) on Saturday. We had to settle for 99 (as in temperature, not Agent …), which is still rather warm, even for a Chicago summer day.

I also have to confess one other observation – there was one point when I was getting out of my car late in the afternoon when I actually felt a cool breeze blow past me.

It felt so good, and I’m hoping we all get many more of them in coming days.

  -30-

No comments: