Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chia Obama just tacky, not offensive

I’m starting to think I made a mistake earlier this week when I was at a Walgreen’s pharmacy.

While waiting in line to pay for a newspaper, I happened to look up and see a row of boxes containing the “Chia Obama,” the takeoff on the Chia Pet that is made to look like a bust of our nation’s 44th president.

IF I HAD known then what I know now, I would seriously have considered walking up to the row, taking all of them and making a large purchase.

Of course, I would have made sure to do nothing that would construe opening the boxes. I wouldn’t have even removed the price stickers from the boxes, and I would have kept my receipt. For I would have wanted it to be clearly evident to anyone who looked closely that these particular “Chia Obama” figurines were purchased from a Walgreen’s.

Because now, Walgreen’s has stopped selling the items.

One can purchase all kinds of souvenir magazines, designer plates, caps and t-shirts depicting Obama’s visage or his campaign logo at a Walgreen’s – and not just the one located in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

SOME OF THESE items are extremely tacky looking and cheap (in quality, not in price). Walgreen’s stores throughout the Chicago area are a goldmine for people looking to find all kinds of pseudo-souvenirs of this city’s first president (and no, I don’t count Ronald Reagan).

But Walgreen’s officials think it is the “Chia Obama” that reaches the level of potential offensiveness that they decided this week to take a stand and remove the item from their shelves.

It appears some people think the light brown Obama figurine with mossy green hair think is offensive to the president’s reputation. Some think it is borderline racist.

The company that manufactures the figurine are not offensive, but are, “hope, courage and pro-American.”

PERSONALLY, I THINK the truth lies in between these two extremes.

My initial reaction to learning of the “Chia Obama” was that it was a ridiculous concept, in large part because I don’t think the figurine looks anylike like Barack Obama. In fact, it barely looks human.

It looks like a generic face with green-dyed hair. In fact, my first reaction was to think that the figurine was supposed to be some sort of pop musician – rather than a political figure (be honest, most political people try to hide the photographs that show they once had dyed hair).

I didn’t think it offensive as much as just silly. And if being “pro-American” means being silly, then I suppose it is – although I personally would prefer to think that our nation stands for ideals greater than having a hair-like substance that is mossy green.

NOW I REALIZE that the “Chia Obama” will be available for those people who enjoy shopping on the Internet, and I wouldn’t be surprised to find some other retail chain that eventually agrees to carry the item.

It is the perfect impulse purchase for people who want to think they are making some sort of financial investment by buying a piece of memorabilia that will appreciate in value.

Actually, all this will appreciate in is kitsch. But buying this thing is no more ridiculous than buying one of those souvenir plates (complete with its own stand) that depicts Obama in all his presidential glory.

None of these items is ever going to be worth more than the $19.95 (plus tax) that one has to pay for it these days. It may someday be worth exactly that much (but in an era where inflation will make $20 of the future worth about as much as a buck or two is now).

SO PERHAPS NOT even all the Walgreen’s stickers and receipts in the world would add to the value of a “Chia Obama.” It probably is a good think that I just shook my head, moved ahead in line, and plunked down a couple of quarters for my copy of the Chicago Sun-Times (the cash registers at this particular Walgreen’s were not functioning properly, and the paper scanned at its old price).

Then, there’s always the most important reason why I should not have purchased even one of those “Chia Obama” figurines. I would have felt incredibly ridiculous having people see me toss away a perfectly good $20 bill and some change to purchase an item that fits the very definition of absurdity.

I would have been the person with the “Chia Obama” cradled under one arm, while holding my newly purchased newspaper over my face so that perhaps no one would recognize me.

-30-

EDITOR’S NOTES: Not only can you read all about the “Chia Obama” here, you also can (http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/04/08/Walgreens-says-no-to-Ch-Ch-Chia-Obama/UPI-73961239200664/) watch the television commercials that promote the tacky item.

What will archeologists of 1,000 years from now think of us if they find a “Chia Obama” figurine (http://www.chiaobama.com/) among the rubble of our society.

No comments: