Thursday, July 18, 2013

Some people are way too touchy!

Where’s the Tylenol?

I feel like I need to reach for a bottle, after learning of the things that get some people all worked up.

WHETHER IT’S JENNY McCarthy, or the bomber who took out the Boston Marathon with one of his explosive devices. The degree to which some people are upset makes me wonder if they’re just determined to be miserable.

As if they’d be upset with themselves if there wasn’t something (anything) for them to get all upset about.

I think I’m more bothered with the people who have nothing better to worry about than the cover of Rolling Stone magazine – which quite often does serious reporting about issues of great significance to our society.

In the upcoming issue, they’re publishing a story about Dzhokhar Tsarnaev – one of the suspects in the explosion in Boston that killed a few participants in the marathon; while also injuring many dozens of others.

I HAVEN’T READ the story yet, although it seems the magazine is trying to write a serious piece of reporting that shows just how an individual can sink to such a contemptible level.

Because it’s the big story, it is the “cover.” Which means Tsarnaev gets his picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

That has the kind of people who spend way too much of their time on the Internet making hostile comments. They don’t want him being “glorified,” even though I don’t see how this is glorification.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tsarnaev himself were to view this as demonification of his persona. I doubt he’s going to be pleased with the image that will be presented of himself.

YET THE OVERLY touchy amongst us want to complain. And they even got at least two significant business interests – the CVS and Walgreens drug-store chains – to say they won’t carry the magazine’s upcoming issue.

Personally, I don’t buy magazines at either store (their selections aren’t that impressive -- I just don't care about "Shape" magazine). But I’m appalled by both actions.

In the case of CVS, they say their roots as a New England-based company make them sensitive to Boston’s feelings on this matter. So now, Rolling Stone can claim they were “banned in Boston.” Maybe sales elsewhere will compensate for the loss, because such a status makes this appear to be a big deal that it really isn't.

I suspect the people who do wind up reading the story will find themselves disappointed. Which is why I wish the Chicago-area-based Walgreens had not made such a decision. I’d always like to think Chicago interests are more common-sense than the rest of the country.

APPARENTLY, THEY’RE NOT always such.

Then, there’s the case of McCarthy – who earlier this week got herself a bigger media platform than the weekly advice column she writes for the Chicago Sun-Times. She’s going to be on Barbara Walters’ television creation – The View.

She’s going to be a regular hostess. But while most of us think of her as nothing more than the Mother McAuley girl who turned a Playboy spread into fame as a not-quite actress but definitely a pop-star, she has in recent years come up with the theory that her son’s autism was caused by vaccinations.

That has the medical community now upset that McCarthy would get a permanent place on a prominent daytime TV show. Even though I’d like to think that real people are too busy working during the day to actually watch The View, it seems they think Jenny is now going to be using the airwaves to spew her theories on the matter.

PERSONALLY, I THINK the people who actually watch the program would be bored to death if she actually did become the single-note clown that they’re predicting she will be. She'd get fired if she actually tried to use the program for an autism crusade.

Do I see the fate of the Republic being threatened by McCarthy’s new job? I can’t!

I’m actually more frightened by all the people who felt compelled to pounce on this issue right when it happened at the beginning of the week. Talk about having way too much free time on their hands.


  -30-

EDITOR’S NOTE: No, I don’t really see any resemblance to Jim Morrison. Then again, I’m the type of person who never really thought one-time Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin bore any resemblance to Tina Fey. I just don’t see it.
 
In either case!
 

No comments: