Friday, August 29, 2008

EXTRA: I'm buried in political spam

I should have anticipated all the junk e-mails I’d be getting from the presidential campaign of Barack Obama. I gave them the Chicago Argus/South Chicagoan e-mail address to see for myself how they would “inform” the American people as to a vice presidential selection.

They told me (several hours after I had already learned from the Associated Press, although I understand CNN claims IT broke the story about Joe Biden’s pairing with Obama). Obama/Biden also has sent me countless e-mails on a daily basis.

I can buy a refrigerator magnet with the Obama/Biden campaign logo on it. I can attend countless parties in my area so I can watch St. Barack on television. On some occasions, the e-mails are nothing more than blanket appeals for more campaign donations (as little as $25 will be accepted).

Sometimes, I get a heartfelt message from “Joe,” telling me to keep the faith about his and Obama’s chances of a Nov. 4 victory.

Just moments ago (6:54 p.m., CDT, to be exact), they dug up “Michelle.”

The potential first lady “sent” me (and who knows how many thousands of others) the following message.

Friend --

The first time I ever heard Barack speak was at a community meeting on the South Side of Chicago.

He won me over with the same message that inspired millions last night.

He told people who'd been knocked down that, despite everything, we need to set our sights on a better place around the bend -- and that it's up to each one of us to fight for it.

That's where you come in.

More than two million supporters already own a piece of this extraordinary campaign. Will you join them by making your first donation right now?

Make a donation of $5 or more today:

https://donate.barackobama.com/lastnight

Now that the convention is over, time will fly between now and Election Day.

And the next two days are especially important.

The August fundraising deadline is this Sunday at midnight, and we can prove that a campaign funded by grassroots supporters can compete with John McCain and the Republicans.

The past four days in Denver -- and the amazing event last night -- showed the country that Americans are ready for change.

Now it's up to each of us to make it happen.

Thanks for everything you're doing,

Michelle

With “friends” like these, it’s going to be a long campaign season.

-30-

No comments: